[pct-l] Mt Everest and the PCT

This is an interesting suggestion.  It seems the "infrastructure" to both the AT and PCT communities are growing (angels, caches, big trail-related gatherings, etc).  I went thru on the AT in 1996, it was already very developed and very crowded.  I have done most of the PCT in 1998 and 2003 combined.  The PCT is definitely still more of a wilderness experience than the AT was even 9 years ago, but it is coming up fast.  Even between 1998 and 2003 I saw major differences in the number of caches out there, for example.  I have not been to the ADZ, so I'll stay out of that fray, except to say that I would think twice before I hiked out as part of such a large mass.

I think the increase in hiker numbers is inevitable as the trail gets more accessible due to its infrastructure.  And likewise the more hikers, the more demand for that infrastructure, and so kind people step into that void to help.  It's a chicken & egg thing.

Good or bad, I think there's no stopping the trend.  People who enjoy the social aspects more will go to the AT, and increasingly to the PCT, and those hearty adventurers who savor the wilderness experience more will seek out wilder places as trails like the AT and PCT become more & more "civilized".  Myself?  I love both aspects & can't decide.

Ajax

This got me to thinking in a reverse direction.  Would removing the
aides
and assists from the PCT (cache's, angels et al) cause a thinning of
the herd?

Also, for all you thru hikers of both the left coast and right coast
trails,
is the PCT "experience" becoming more like an AT "experience", or is it
remaining unique unto itself?  Is the CDT today, what the PCT was 15 or
20
years ago?