[pct-l] Thoughts on the ADZPCTKO thread

It appears from all the back and forth talk on the list that impacting the
trail is not that important, it is just a small "casualty" in the needs of the
thru-hikers.  I was asked about my comment on the devastation to the trails,
and to "cite my resources".  I feel the resources are each and every one of us.
So here are my resources ... the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is
currently doing a study on this sort of impact and devastation on the trails.
California's state advocate concerning this issue is Liz Garland, who is
aware of the impact on the trail, the PCTA, the Forest Service, the National Park
Service.  Do I need more resources?  I asked the question of this forum if a
LNT session was available at the KO.  I received no response.  The Leave No
Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics has indicated that if the organizers of the KO
would contact them and give them the dates of the KO, they could arrange for a
traveling trainer to come to the KO and give a 1-hour session or whatever is
needed on Leave No Trace.  The traveling trainers are free.  They asked that I
make this offer to the organizers, who will take the next step.  If we don't
take care of the trails ... who will?  Sorry if I offended anyone.
Donna Smith