[pct-l] Trail Names

Greetings,

I got a real kick out of seeing people light up when someone gave them a
trail name. It's the kind of recognition civilians (non-hikers) don't get.
For me, our trail names help identify us as part of the tribe.

I would have missed something if I had given myself a name. Among those I
was considering were: "Great Man on the Trail", "Thunder Maker", "Solomon",
etc. No one thought to give me one of those names. Instead, one of my
mentors, gottago, gave me the name, "Joyful Jim." I thought about it and it
bothered me that it wasn't more macho. A friend said, "Look, she stuck with
gottago, and the least you can do is accept the gift. Besides, it fits you."
I'm glad I stuck with it. It is who I am on the trail.

Early followers of Christ would re-name converts, giving them their
"Christian name", and Muslims continue to re-name people new to their faith.
For me, our trail names befit the spiritual aspect of our hikes.

Besides, it's fun!

Peace,
J J