[pct-l] thru-hiking with dogs.

I hope this doesn't aggravate things further, but I really am curious and
also wish to be educated on the subject (as I am sure many others on the
list are, too)...  Even though I am fully aware of the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) as it pertains to the business world, I was unaware
that 'service' animals have 'carte blanche' anywhere, anytime, no matter what
(I have been aware of some exceptions since I raised/trained guide dogs for
the blind for ten years back in the 1960's).

Do you always have your dog on leash while in National Parks or other
'restricted' areas?  What 'service' does your dog provide for you?

Carolyn Eddy (Sweet Goat Mama) said, "Dave is right, any dog can be a
service dog and no further proof than declaration of such is required."
If that is correct, then ALL dogs could theoretically be declared 'service'
dogs by their owners and taken ANYWHERE they choose...  Yet, would it
be legal, ethical, and moral for me to declare my dog a 'service' dog even
though I do not claim any disabilities (Well, except for AGE now maybe!  And,
according to my kids, my mental 'weirdness'!!)?  Wouldn't some sort of proof
of one's said disability (if not readily apparent) have to be shown eventually,
even if the 'service' animal doesn't need any certification?

I would think that one would be better off to, at least, carry a copy of
the ordinance (as Carolyn Eddy does) to help enlighten those not in the know.
And to simplify it even further, I would also carry a copy of some sort of
document supporting said disability if it isn't readily apparent.  You could
even reduce them onto a single small paper or card...  Being cooperative and
congenial would certainly make for a much better 'first impression'...

As for dogs on the trail in general...  I don't personally feel they belong on
many portions, if not most, of the PCT.  I wouldn't take mine (a German Shepard)
on a thru-hike... it's just too far a distance over too long a time.  Yes, I would
miss him - and I might even arrange to have him on trail with me a small part of
the way...  but definitely not in southern California nor in the national park
areas or other 'restricted' jurisdictions...  maybe far northern California and
southern Oregon would be a possibility...

One more point, for the class of 2005 and those to follow...  Every thru-hiker is
an ambassador for the entire thru-hiking community...  So, be patient and
courteous to all the NONthru-hikers and especially to the NONhikers in the trail
towns as you answer the same questions over and over, and over, and over
again!  Help spread your enthusiasm and love of the trail to all you meet.
Thank you.

Happy trails!!!