[pct-l] Eyewear and South bounders

I wore contacts during my entire hike, and loved them.  Because of my computer dependent job, I generally wear glasses at work - looking at the monitor all day dries out my eyes.
I got a few sample bottles of cleaning solution from my optometrist and had no trouble keeping my lenses clean.  I carried a pair of glasses for backup and nighttime sight.

Because I feared damage to my lenses, I went with daily disposables.  I was hoping to get a couple days out of each pair.  I think I went through 5 pairs the whole trip.  I took them out every night and put them back in the next morning.  The fresh air and healthy living did more to keep my eyes healthy than the sterility of business life ever could.

I found that I could get by with 3 drops of cleaning solution in each case, and use the solution from the case to moisten the lenses when putting them back in.

As for sunglasses, I used some raybans that someone left at my house years ago, and they worked fine. - much better than clips over glasses.

-Rev. Gizmo / Conor

Mara Jeffress <mara@jeffress.net> wrote:

I am fairly blind without contacts or glasses and I am wondering what
others like me do on a long through-hike. I have done various combos
on my many hikes of just wearing glasses, wearing extended wear
disposable contact lenses for the entire time between resupplies (and
changing them out at stops) or carrying contact lens solutions and
taking them out every night (hard to keep hands clean). I am leaning
towards just doing glasses since I have to carry them anyway as back up
if I go the contact route.

I was wondering what others do about this issue and if anyone has a
recommendation for lightweight, durable glasses/sunglasses combos. I
had a pair of Wiley field googles with changeable lenses, but not in
prescription, which I am considering, because they were really light
and easy to exchange as it turns dark.