[pct-l] Eyewear and South bounders

I started off with contacts, but found that it was impossible for me to keep
my hands clean enough to take them in and out everyday without getting
something painful in my eye. So I switched to glasses mid hike.  For my next
years PCT experience I will be wearing the contacts I have now-- night and
day from Ciba Vision. They are highly oxygen beathable, and do not allow for
protein buildup-- so you can leave them in for up to 30 days without taking
them out. Once they are in-- I forget that  I wear contacts. Perfect for the
trail. The web site is: www.nightandday.com

Ryan

pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Eyewear and South bounders
>Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:48:29 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I wore contacts during my entire hike, and loved them.  Because of my
computer dependent job, I generally wear glasses at work - looking at the
monitor all day dries out my eyes.
>I got a few sample bottles of cleaning solution from my optometrist and
had no trouble keeping my lenses clean.  I carried a pair of glasses for
backup and nighttime sight.

>Because I feared damage to my lenses, I went with daily disposables.  I
was hoping to get a couple days out of each pair.  I think I went through 5
pairs the whole trip.  I took them out every night and put them back in the
next morning.  The fresh air and healthy living did more to keep my eyes
healthy than the sterility of business life ever could.

>I found that I could get by with 3 drops of cleaning solution in each
case, and use the solution from the case to moisten the lenses when putting
them back in.

>As for sunglasses, I used some raybans that someone left at my house
years ago, and they worked fine. - much better than clips over glasses.