[pct-l] VVR or not to VVR?

Though doing the PCT is significantly different than
merely doing the JMT. I've used VVR for both of my JMT
hikes (2002 & 2004). This enabled me to hike from
Yosemite with only 1 meal. Purchase food Tuolumne plus
1 meal. Buy food and 1 dinner at Reds Meadow. Then
pick up our food at VVR. We mailed supplies and an
extra bear cannister full of food sufficient to
complete the hike.

I've been to VVR many times. I've driven there, too.
The staff was always warm and welcoming to us.
We never had a bad experience.
I appreciate the difficulty it must be running a
business in such a remote location. (supplies, getting
& keeping workers). I think they have a pretty hard
time making a go of it. I thought that they should
sell the left backpacker food; wouldn't mind if they'd
sold what we left if it kept things afloat.

One doesn't need to take the ferry- long, dusty trail
along "lake". I'd say going north doesn't require a
stop at VVR, but it is an interesting place with
colorful people. And it is a more personal experience
compared to the pricy, indifference of Mammoth or the
dust and constant tour bus atmosphere of Red's Meadow.

Don't get me wrong I like Red's and Mammoth, too.
Each place has positive & negative aspects.

David