[pct-l] Re: VVR or not to VVR?

My thoughts on my 2002 VVR experience....

I don't remember how much I spent at VVR.  I'm sure it
was more than I spent at any of my other stops.

So what DO I remember?

Sharing the boat ride over with Blackhawk and
Strawberry Girl.

Meeting Josh, Tom, and Katie at VVR.  I continued
encountering them all the way north to almost Seiad
Valley, and crossed into Canada with Josh.  To this
day I count him as a very valued hiking partner and
close friend.

Seeing Happy Jo, who I'd last seen two days north of
Kennedy Meadows, at breakfast.

Catching up with Mags and Yogi.

Going through their hiker binders, and unexpectedly
seeing photos of people I knew from college.

Lying on a cot, reading mail about World Cup results
sent to me from my dad.

All of my memories fall right in line with a talk I
had with Chuckie the day after camping at Little Jimmy
in the San Gabriels.  He said that after a time, what
we'll remember is not the hours spent staring at our
feet and the trail tread, but the time we spend with
our thoughts or with other hikers, enjoying a shared
water break at a spring, or taking in a vista.

I have absolutely no recollection of how much I spent
at VVR.  I'm sure it was more than I was thrilled to
be spending, but in hindsight, it was a bargain.  I
got to spend time with friends I had, and make new
ones.

Logistics aside, those are my reasons why if (when) I
hit the PCT again, I'll do the exact same thing and
spend a night there.

Iron Chef

Yahoo! Messenger