[BULK] - RE: [pct-l] condensation on inside of homemade tarptent

I believe that even without a heat source, the inside of a poorly
ventilated tent will still condensate, given the normal conditions.
Still, trapped air on the inside will be warmer than moving air outside,
particularly during the night, when temps will drop.

So, Scotts analogy to a can of soda is not only valid, but probably the
best demonstration of condensation (my middle school teacher
demonstrated it with a glass of ice water).
But place a breathing, warm blooded animal inside the same tent will
increase the moisture content AND the temperature inside the tent which
will compound the problem.

Simply put:
Separate air volumes of different temperatures with a membrane or
barrier, and moisture will condensate on the warm side of the barrier.
Want less condensation?
Equalize the temperatures or remove the moisture (though there are very
few locations on the planet where the air has zero moisture content).
Removing the membrane/barrier or ventilating the tent will result in
equalizing the temperatures.
Or
Work it in reverse: air condition the inside of your tent and the
outside will condensate like a glass of ice water!

Science class dismissed!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m