[BULK] - Re: [pct-l] what do thru-hiker map fanatics do?

I'm a certified map junkie. Even as a kid, I loved to gaze at maps and
contemplate the special relationship between far off exotic places and
places I've been to. On airplanes, I love to stare out the widow and
read the land below as a map, trying to tell where I'm at, at the
moment. It's a great way to pass time on long flights!

That said- I almost always carry USGS 7.5' Topos of the hikes I take.
Not that I need such detail to navigate, but simply because I LOVE to
know as much as possible about where I'm hiking through! A lot of times,
there'll be something neat to explore that would only show up on a
decent topo map. Mines, old cabin ruins, etc...

I have a couple map software packages and I routinely use the various
on-line map services to plan my hikes. I think what you'll find of most
concern from the folks on the PCT-L is (guess what?!) weight. As stated
before, the PCT is a very well defined and marked trail. Probably the
MOST well marked trail I've ever backpacked on. What you'll find at the
end of each section is discarded guide and data book pages. For the most
important information, navigationally speaking, these two sheets have
all you need.

But I sometimes print my own maps with any special info I, alone, may
feel important to have on the trail.

HYOH, as they say...

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m