[BULK] - [pct-l] GPS

I agree that the PCT is so much a well trodden trail that a GPS, for
navigational purposes, is unnecessary.

BUT-

I find my GPS invaluable as a tool to help me keep pace.
I refer to the "trip data" each and every time I stop to rest to see
what my average moving speed is, what my stopped time was and what my
moving time was. Also, I see how many miles I've walked throughout the
day. And, as I'm ascending a ridge, I like to see my elevation- just to
anticipate when the grinding climb is gonna end...

I like to make the entire day a hike. So if it's only a 10 miler, I want
to be able to pace myself accordingly, to make the most of the hike. Or,
if it's a 20 miler, I know when to stop enjoying a particularly nice
rest stop/vista and get back to moving...
If I'm attentive, I can time my campsite stops to the exact time the sun
sets (my GPS tells me when this is too!). No need to move faster than
you need to on a 20+ mile day! Remember the hike down north of Combs,
Erik???

I also have a GPS with both FRS and GMRS radio capabilities, so if
another in my party has a radio, there's communication capabilities.
I've gotten signal from many miles away (line of sight from a high
elevation to a valley or desert below), so there's also an emergency
communication built in.

I think I've only used my GPS maybe three or four times to tell me where
I'm at and which way to go. And I could have easily pulled out my map
and compass to get the same info. Though the GPS provides this info much
faster! (no need for a discussion on batteries or "don't replace map and
compass skills for a GPS")

GPS's now-a-days have a huge array of features. Locating yourself by
long/lat or UTM coords are just the beginning.
I'll always carry mine. And it's rather large as GPS's go. But it clips
onto my belt and doesn't actually add weight to my pack, per se. (no
need to begin a discussion on base weight/pack weight/skin-out
weight/etc...)

My 2 cents...

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m