[pct-l] Re: Bugs

When we hiked part of the Oregon-Washington PCT in 2001 I discovered that I
have a sort of allergy to mosquito-bites. They swell up big and develop
little blisters on top of the bite. And I seemed to be attracting way more
blackflies than my hiking partner.

There were days on which we would set up the tent just to have lunch. At
Sister's Mirror Lake the bugs sounded like a Formula 1 car race outside the
tent. We did bring headnets, which saved our sanity several times while
setting up camp. But we could not see through them well in enough in
changing light (like when weaving in and out of stands of trees) to hike
with them.

The biggest delight for me in hiking the JMT probably was being able to sit
outside at night, rest besides the trail etc without the bugs.

In 2001 we used Deet, but it would get washed down my calves from the sweat
and had to be reapplied every break. I did not put it on my hands, or face.
But the backs of my legs were just not easy to swat while hiking or during
breaks.

Tip: take a form of Deet that you can apply without putting it on your
hands. So a stick or spray is much better than lotion. Otherwise, you'll get
a full dose on your hands every time you applie it and have to be extremely
dilligent in getting it off before touching you nose, mouth or eyes.

Saskia

> From: Matt Geis <mgeis@yahoo.com>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:56:53 -0800 (PST)
> To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Re: Bugs
SNIP

> I know people who had all-out panic attacks after
> being bombarded by hordes of mosquitos for several
> weeks, so don't underestimate them.  One 2002 hiker
> went into the Sierras with no bug protection, chemical
> or otherwise, making some sort of boast that she'd be
> ok, she'd commune w/nature, she was from a state with
> lots of mosquitos, etc.  From what I hear, they drove
> her absolutely nuts.

SNIP