[pct-l] Re: Bugs

The absolute winner in the "hmmm... maybe I might need
this" category for my hike was the bug pants I got for
about $8 from REI.  They weight almost nothing,
compress to nothing, but provide full non-chemical leg
protection from bugs.  Between that, a sun hat, and a
headnet, I was pretty protected.  When stopped, I
would wear my lightweight rainjacket.  A tiny bit of
100% deet worked well (I only had to use DEET a
handful of times my entire hike but when I needed it,
I was glad to have it).  The pants/hat/headnet combo
was great while walking (at hiking speed, you'll go
faster than a lot of bugs, but some will still find
you).

I did not get the bug shirt from REI, as I already had
a  jacket, and could easily swat any skeeters on my
arms, and could apply a small amount of deet to them.
The leg protection from the pants was great.

I know people who had all-out panic attacks after
being bombarded by hordes of mosquitos for several
weeks, so don't underestimate them.  One 2002 hiker
went into the Sierras with no bug protection, chemical
or otherwise, making some sort of boast that she'd be
ok, she'd commune w/nature, she was from a state with
lots of mosquitos, etc.  From what I hear, they drove
her absolutely nuts.

For camping, I like to cowboy camp (no tent), but was
rarely able to do it.  Even in non-infested areas,
there were enough bugs to keep me awake at night.  I
had a zoid tent, and used it almost evey night north
of Kennedy Meadows (and even once for an afternoon
nap).  During the cold spells in Oregon, however, it
was great -- no heat = no bugs.

Iron Chef