[pct-l] Bugs

> I am curious what people think about dealing with bugs in the areas where they
> are at their worst.  I have done some hiking in the central OR Cascades in june
> and July and found the bugs to be almost unbearable.

There are also sections in California which can be just as bad if the
snow has started to melt.   Without protection it is unbearable and
will drive you crazy.

> How many people carry chemical bug protection (i.e. DEET or Citronella)
> how many just use clothing,

I use clothing (light-weight supplex long-sleeve shirt/pants +
headnet).  Clothing keeps the bugs off me and also keeps me from
sunburn.  When the bloodsuckers are bad I put DEET on my hands.

In high bug areas don't bother with any repellent other than DEET.  I
have tried natural repellents which worked fine in light mosquito
areas.  All of these repellents seemed to provide no protection in
heavy mosquito areas.  Maybe they were somewhat effective, but when
the arrival rate is 30 mosquitoes / second, keeping away a few isn't
adequate :-(

> and for those who use a tarp, what do you do at night?

A16 bug bivy.  I haven't mastered the art of sleeping in my headnet.