[pct-l] Bugs

Note that bugs do not necessarily have to be a factor.  Glory and I were up ahead of the main pack and, it seems, a day or two in front of the bugs. I don't think I used DEET until sometime in Oregon or far northern Cali.  I used some of Glory's citronella one day north of Tuolumne and it seemed to work out fine for the low-density bugs there.  From Ashland to Sisters the bugs were pretty bad, but only in the early AM and after 6 PM.  During the day, they seemed to take a break.  So, I would say that, for my hike, the PCT isn't that bad for bugs.  Certainly the AT this last summer was far more annoying for bugs.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett