[pct-l] Muir vs Vermillion Store

Monty Tam said:
> I just realized that the Muir Ranch is REAL close to the trail.  I think
> its around 1/2 mile difference taking the Muir loop.  Vermillion is 12
> miles(or is that six?) round trip or a $16 round trip boat ride.  Both
> have stores.  I don't know anything about the Muir ranch except I
> cringed about the $25 package fee(or is that higher).  For the $10
> difference, or to resupply in the store, I might  do different this
> year.   I like Jim and his crew at Vermillion, but I may pass it up this
> year.  Can anyone tell me if they sell enough stuff (food and deet) in
> the store to get me to Red's Meadow?

Definitely not. They're plenty helpful with your resupply package,
providing you follow their directions about sending it in a plastic paint
bucket. They have to haul stuff in something like 12 miles by horse (if I
remember correctly).

The stuff they sold at their store last year was mostly incidental stuff
for the lodgers staying at their ranch (people doing day-hikes and
equestrians).  With a few serendipitous exceptions, if you didn't mail it
to them, they probably won't have it.