[pct-l] Lightest slimest altimeter watch? (NOT the Helix)

Mara makes an excellent point. Recalibrate your altimeter periodically
throughout the day at known elevation points. The PCT guidebooks give not
only the distance travelled but the elevation at each waypoint.

Also, note the reading on your altimeter when you stop to camp. Before you
leave camp the next morning, compare the current reading to the older one.
If the reading went down significantly, high pressure has moved in and you
can reasonably expect better weather. If it went up, low pressure has moved
in and you can reasonably expect poorer weather. Then, reset your altimeter
to the old reading and go on. At the first KNOWN elevation point, reset
again. You're good for the rest of the day.

The temperature displayed by these watches is the temperature within the
watch case itself, so it's really only accurate first thing in the morning
when it's been off your writst and hanging in your tent overnight. Me
personally, I don't WANT to know the temperature when I'm trying to get up
and get going. My psyche conspires with my watch to convince my body that it
is really perfectly comfortable in my little down nest and that if I simply
roll over and go back to sleep it will be significantly warmer when I awake.

I still have my old (10 years) AVOCET. REI stopped carrying them many years
ago - not trendy enough I guess - but they are still available.
http://www.avocet.com  I've sent mine to their service center several times
for new batteries, a couple of wrist bands, etc. Mine doesn't have the
built-in light, but that's why I have a Photon on the cord around my neck.

Wandering Bob Bankhead