[pct-l] Lightest slimest altimeter watch? (NOT the Helix)

Yet one more thing to consider when wearing altimeter watches (from my web
site):

"The trick with barometer based altimeters is to pay attention to your known
elevation points. Even if you do not recalibrate at every known point
(boring - yawn), just paying attention to the relative direction the real
elevation is going in relation to the elevation displayed on your watch is
enough to tell you a bit about what's happening with the weather. Also, you
know that if you calibrated the altimeter in the morning and it's reading
too high an elevation a couple of hours later, it's likely to continue to
read high as the day goes on. This, of course, means that low pressure is
moving in - something that you really can't tell just by looking at the
barometric pressure unless you aren't moving anywhere over time.

Then again, if you wake up lower than when you went to sleep, high pressure
is moving in and perhaps some good weather with it."

Of course, this is true for all barometer based altimeters.  Sometimes,
people's perceptions of the accuracy of their altimeters can also depend on
the variability of the weather around them.

Living on the east coast, I found the weather much more variable here than
when hiking in the southwest.  The altimeter function was as useful a
weather indicator as an elevation indicator.

My Casio Altimeter/Barometer watch finally gave it up in Australia a couple
of years ago.  It had the smallest (or one of the smallest) profiles I had
ever seen in an altimeter watch (good for my tiny wrists), but being an
"early" watch, the functions were somewhat more limited, too.

I miss my watch.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor