[pct-l] Tents

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:17:20 -0800, Miranda Levin <spenluc@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am planning to do the PCT in 2005 and have a few questions about
> tents.  I am leaning toward the Henry Shires Tarptent ...

Just happened to be in REI today, and while wandering around snagged its
compilation of tent features.  The co-op now has seven tents specifically
catagorized as "ultralight solo."  I've re-keyed the information into a
spreadsheet (it's quite wide, some eleven columns, and won't easily display
here).  I believe I can't post it as an attachment on this listserv,
however
I'll forward it (Excel or QuattroPro format) to anyone who
contacts me off-list.  Set out below, though, are the tent names, prices
and weights, three of the eleven columns.

BACKPACKING (3-SEASON): ULTRALIGHT SOLO
Name                         Weight         Price

REI Roadster                      3 lbs. 3 oz.   $129.00
Mountain Hardwear PCT 1            3 lbs. 12 oz.  $150.00
Mountain Hardwear Waypoint 1      2 lbs. 8 oz.   $195.00
MSR Hubba                      3 lbs. 7 oz.   $219.95
Sierra Designs Light Year CD       3 lbs. 10 oz.  $139.95
Siera Designs Ultra Light Year CD  3 lbs. 1 oz.   $199.95
The North Face Canyonlands         3 lbs. 14 oz.  $179.00

That Shires tarptent beats these in many ways.  So do many of the other
"cottage industry" tents discussed on this forum.  And Shires has a sale
on (or at least he did, last I looked).  So Shires may be the way to go
unless you really want that bathtub floor and full-zipped snugness a tent
offers.

--
Jeffrey Neil Zimmerman
Sonoma County, The Left Coast