[pct-l] Re: Isn't Hiking Free

Aloha All!

This thread brought a great chuckle for me.  I can well remember four of us having a conversation with a waitress while on the AT.  She mentioned something about the hike not costing much.  Two, both in their 20s, immediately agreed and two others, 46 and 52 respectively, yelled "Bull!".  I'm still laughing.

Excluding the financial aspects of acquiring gear and getting to and from the trail, which are going to vary per individual desires, needs, wants, location, etc, the cost while on the trail itself can be as nominal or phenomenal as the hiker desires.  The part that folks tend to either forget or just not include are the "other" expenses.  In the case of the two 40+ persons, me being one of them, both had mortgages still being paid, medical insurance payments for which their employers, if employed, were no longer paying or matching, insurance premiums being paid, etc., etc., and all without an income coming in.  Yes, one of us had support back home but the income was cut in half while this Grand Adventure happened.  The other, bit the bullet and planned for years to do it.  The true cost of my AT hike never really hit home until I did my taxes:  2001 = no income outside of any investments; 2003 = well, I won't repeat what I actually said when my W2 arrived and the taxes were completed.  Let's just go with... it hurt.  It really hurt.

So is the hike free?   In my eyes... not by a long shot.  It was probably one of the most expensive things I've ever done.  With that said, was it worth it?  You betcha!  Every last penny of it!  PCT and the Poor House -- here I come!  Wuhuuuuu!