[pct-l] Instant coffee tastes awful?? Cowboy Coffee

Bluce Ree wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone had luck with soaking foods
>ie beans, rice instead of cooking them. I'd like to
>ditch my stove for this hike. Any ideas?

We did a 300 mile hike in 1996 from Camp Whitsett to Mt. Whitney to
Yosemite Valley (JMT +90) and did not carry a stove, to save weight.
Breakfast and lunch were eaten on the trail--dried fruit, nuts, energy
bars, chocolate, dried tomatoes, jerky.  Dinner was granola with
powdered soy milk, eaten while our main course rehydrated in cold
water.  The main course was bean soup.  It rehydrated in a plastic
koolaid container with a lid.
The recipe for the soup is in Lipsmackin Backpackin on page 72.  It is
really cheap to make and nutritious as well.  We saved a lot of weight
with no stove, fuel, or pots.
llamalady