[pct-l] Cookless Soak-N-Eat Foods

Good morning, Bluce,

Below is the text of a post from a few months ago about reconstituted beans.
I like the stuff as a no-cook option.  Most people like bean dip for various
chips, crackers, or bread things.  I can eat well without cooking in all but
the coldest weather, but I have not yet tested it on a trip longer than a
month.

For long walks the question for me is not so much can I eat cold food, the
question is how will I resupply.  If I chose to rely almost totally on my
own mailed supply boxes I can have all of the foodstuffs that I like and
that can be eaten cold.  If however, I totally or in part, resupply from
such stores as I may find on the way, the eat-cold selection may be limited
to Twinkies and chips.  In that regard the weight of a stove buys the
freedom to use a much greater variety of opportunity foods, such as pasta,
dry soup, and various "helpers" found in most markets, large and small.
Even long-cook items such as regular beans and rice could be used if
sufficient time and fuel were available.  Probably the most versatile and
adaptable arrangement (which I do not use, by the way) is a medium size pot
with an multi-fuel stove.  With that you could use any available fuel and
eat any available food.

Keep your options open because I don't think there is any one answer.  Hike
some sections cooking, while others not.  Some of the food would be sent and
some would be purchased locally.  Here in the Northwest, in late summer, I
can eat all of trailside huckleberries I want as fast as I can poke them in
my face, but I do not rely upon them in my meal planning.

Steel-Eye