[pct-l] Cooking vs Soak-N-Eat Foods

Hi folks,

I have been following a bit of this discussion and didn't see these
considerations on the list.  Pardon me if they've come up and I missed
them...

There are two more things to consider if you're trying to go cookless...

Unless you are planning on carrying food that does not require long soak
times, you'll end up carrying an extra container filled with the soaking
food and water.

I suggest considering the weight of that container and, more importantly,
the water within, when deciding whether or not to go cookless.  A
lightweight pot and stove combo can be put together for 6 - 8 oz. or so.
Esbit tablets at .5 oz./day or alcohol at 1 oz./day could easily eliminate
the need to soak.

Also, there are situations that can arise where hypothermia can be a real
problem on the trail.  Even in southern California.  With no ability to make
a hot meal or drink, you can end up in a bad situation or end up relying on
others around you.

Believe it or not, this happened this past year.  There was one guy going
"ultra" lightweight that found himself in this situation.  On a day when a
bunch of us stayed put in our tents or stopped early to take shelter, he
found himself without adequate food, clothing, and shelter and relied on
others around him to get him to safety.

If you decide to go cookless, at least carry a couple of Esbit tablets, 4"^2
of foil, and a lighter in an emergency kit.  That and a metal cup in which
to brew some warm water could make a huge difference if you end up in a bad
situation.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor