[pct-l] affording a thru-hike

You don't have to live in a shack without electricity oreat canned pasta every night to go thruhiking every summer.  Academics get most of the summer and a month of the winter off.  At the university, I had nearly 4 months off during the summer (3.5 months spent thruhiking the PCT).
Now, at the college level, I've got a few days less.  This winter will be spent on a 250 mile trek in Death Valley.  Next summer, well, who knows?  Of course, you need to go to school for a while, and you need to like what you do.  But, to suggest that a certain life style is closed off to those who have a stable job is, I suggest, untrue.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett