[pct-l] affording a thru-hike

Tom Griffin writes:

"It is a great achievement that Scott finally finished after all of his
attempts. The weather, the snow levels, his conditioning and his health--all
had to be just about perfect in order to do it. But can anyone tell me what
Scott does when he is not hiking? How can he afford to take six months off
every year to try to yo-yo the PCT? I can hardly find the time to do a
measly section hike."
I don't know what Scott does, but for me it's all about choices.  If you
want to hike every year, then you work full-time (sometimes two full time
jobs) during the off-season.  You save your money and stay away from
expensive entertainment and impulse purchases.  You drive a 10-year old car.
  You eat spaghetti for dinner.  You sacrifice a lot, but the thru-hike is
always worth it.

yogi