[pct-l] backpacking socks

I used Wrightsocks (extra heavy double, called Hiking Extra) when I wore boots.
The only problem I encountered was that they took more than one night to dry
(fall weather) because of the extra thickness.

Note that feet, boots/shoes, insoles, and socks form a "system". If you change
one part of the system, you may have to change other parts to get the whole
thing to work properly again. I found that socks were easier (and cheaper) to
change out than footwear (boots/shoes) and insoles--you have much more variety
to choose from in socks than you do boots/shoes, so socks was what I settled on
last. I went through about six different kinds before I found a type that formed
the perfect "interface" between my footwear and my feet.

As others have pointed out, feet will change as you hike, so expect to have to
use a different type of sock as that happens (or wear more than one pair to
start with, etc.).

Now that I'm wearing trail runners, I'm using a much lighter sock. Again, much
experimentation was required to find something that worked.

Finding socks is a pain; if you hear about a type you can't find locally, I
heartily recommend www.amazingsocks.com. They have a huge variety, usually
always in stock, give good service, and have (at least by SF standards) pretty
good prices. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

--Steve