[pct-l] knee pain

Might be ilio tibial band syndrome. That refers to a band of tendon/ligament
that runs from the hip down to the top of the tibia (below the knee). If it is
"tight" it rubs on some part of the knee (I'm not an anatomy expert) and causes
inflammation/pain.

My pain was in the "knob" on the outside of the knee. Pressing on it with my
fingers created mild pain.

There is a stretching exercise for this that is hard to describe but basically
involves standing in a doorway, with your shoulders in line with the door jamb
(i.e, if the door were closed, your back would be parallel with the door). Stand
somewhat in the middle of the doorway, with your legs straight, (and assuming it
is your right knee) lean your right shoulder against the door jamb, bending
sideways such that your hips get as close to the jamb as possible. You are now
supported by your feet and your right shoulder.

Carefully allow your right knee to move forward, bending your right leg; it will
"lurch" suddenly as your right leg stops supporting your weight (your left leg
is hopefully still holding you up :-). Do that 10 or 20 times--what's happening
is that you're stretching the ilio tibial band as you bend your knee. I did that
once or twice/day for several weeks before mine went away. Also, it is important
to reduce/eliminate unncessary walking, especially up/down stairs, inclines, etc.

Given that you got it on one side, I'd recommend doing the stretch both ways
(lean against the left shoulder, etc.) just to make sure both sides are flexible
enough not to cause problems.

If this is what's ailing you, you have my sympathy. It's a bear to deal with.