[pct-l] knee pain

Steve;

I sustained (and then re-injured) a slight tear in a ligament over a
month ago, and it has taken forever to heal. I'm 26, in decent shape,
and normally heal fairly quickly. This has been terribly slow.

I've packed ice on my knee about 4 times a day for 20-30 minutes a
clip, was taking 500mg of motrin two times a day, and wearing a few
different braces.

I switched from motrin to feldene, which is a prescription anti
inflammatory normally for arthritis, but it has made a huge difference
in my knee. The fact that it's once a day and that it "builds" up in
your system I think is what did it.

I was about ten seconds away from needing knee surgery, but because
the pain has gone away and the "popping" and "knocking" in my knee is
almost non existent now, it looks like by playing it smart and taking
it easy for the next few months I very well might be able to keep my
own ligament and not need to get sliced open.

My only advice about knee injuries: DO NOT MESS AROUND. Knees have
terrible circulation, are under an incredible amount of stress, and
once injured take weeks and months (not days and weeks) to heal
properly. I've found that doing a lot of upper body weight training
was the only thing I could do to keep from getting too fat, because
walking more than a half mile a day was nearly murderous.

I would highly recommend going to a doctor and getting an MRI done immediatly.

This injury will most likely keep me off the PCT this year coming up,
but if I screw around with my injury, it will most likely keep me from
backpacking for the rest of my life.

Eric