[pct-l] pack weight vs hiking speed

 I can't tell you my stats in terms of miles per day,
but I can tell you in miles per hour.

Carrying a 45 pound pack and wearing OneSport Morraine
boots- 2 MPH

Carrying 30 pounds and wearing approach shoes- 3 MPH

Carrying 20 pounds and wearing running shoes- 4 MPH

 These were all on day hikes, or one day of a
backpacking trip. The experiment with the boots and
approach shoes were a couple of days apart on the same
trip( while working in the backcountry).

 Mike
--- dude <dude@fastmail.ca> wrote:

> In 1998, I hiked the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail with a few
> friends each
> carrying a 50-60lbs pack.  We completed the 187 mile
> trail in 16 days
> and had to crank out a 20-mile day on the second to
> last day to do it
> that fast.
>
> In 2001, we did the same trail in 9 days with ~20 lb
> packs.  each day,
> we'd pass two campsites from our previous trip and
> say "there's where
> we camped last year".  We also met some other people
> along the trail
> who were hiking in the same direction we were.  They
> were carrying much
> heavier loads and much larger packs.  We chatted
> with them along the
> trail until the first big climb.  As soon as we
> started climbing, they
> started dropping like flies.The uphill *REALLY*
> accentuates how much
> faster you can go with a lighter pack.
>
> You might also want to tell the writer to check out
> Ray Jardine's PCT
> Book.  I think that he has some stats in there about
> lightening your
> load.
>
> peace,
> dude
> eugene, or
>
> http://www.dudedesign.com
>

> > I was just asked by a writer if I could give hard
> facts about how
> > lightening your pack weight affects hiking speed.
> Does anyone have
> > hard facts that show that they took off "x" pounds
> of pack weight and
> > their hiking speed increase by "y" miles per day?
> I think most of us
> > know lighter backpacks produce faster hiking, but
> I know I don't have
> > any hikes that I hiked heavy, then hiked light.
> >
> > Ken

=====
Long live The Mattress People!
" The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing."
http://www.freehueco.com