[pct-l] pack weight vs hiking speed

In 1998, I hiked the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail with a few friends each
carrying a 50-60lbs pack.  We completed the 187 mile trail in 16 days
and had to crank out a 20-mile day on the second to last day to do it
that fast.

In 2001, we did the same trail in 9 days with ~20 lb packs.  each day,
we'd pass two campsites from our previous trip and say "there's where
we camped last year".  We also met some other people along the trail
who were hiking in the same direction we were.  They were carrying much
heavier loads and much larger packs.  We chatted with them along the
trail until the first big climb.  As soon as we started climbing, they
started dropping like flies.The uphill *REALLY* accentuates how much
faster you can go with a lighter pack.

You might also want to tell the writer to check out Ray Jardine's PCT
Book.  I think that he has some stats in there about lightening your
load.

peace,
dude
eugene, or