[pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story&nothangingfood)

Hi there,

Dude: As you might have gathered from the fact that I carry my gear in a
GoLite Breeze, I do know about lightening the load. I've been trying hard to
reduce the clutter in my pack. There is very little that I could now take
out of my pack that is not essential. When I speak about a bigger pack, I
still speak about an ultralight frameless pack. Not one of the big monster
packs with full suspension and internal frame! I have one of those, from my
earlier days of backpacking. I even carried it on the PCT in Washington and
Oregon. That's when I decided that ultralight was the way to go... I was
only looking at packs like the Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack. It is supposed
to start shipping soon, anyone been able to sneak a peak?

AsABat:
A GVP G4 is much much bigger than a Breeze! (without counting the mesh
departments it is about 4000 cubic inches for a G4 and 2900 for a Breeze)
As to what else is there: my shelter (Henry Shires' tarptent), a filter (I
know, I know, I don't want to start that discussion again!!), one pot to
cook with (inside is the alcohol stove etc), small stuff like a notebook, a
pen, maps, two plastic cups, a poncho against the rain.
Everything will more or less fit, but it will be so snug that the back will
be round and not more or less flat. I wonder how my back will tolerate that.
I don't have space enough in the pack to polster it with my sleeping bag and
clothes. The BearVault fits too snugly!

I'll try it out this weekend, and let you know...

Saskia