[pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story & nothangingfood)

dude wrote "Furthermore, I am not entirely sure that the law actually state
sthat
cannisters are required.  the law *used* to say that campers are
responsible for "proper food storage" and can be fined if bears get
their food.  Perhaps it has changed and now explicitly states that
cannisters are required? I don't know."

dude, DUDE!!!!! where ya been? (aside from the fact that this question
arises on at least an annual basis on this list!!!!!)  See
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/regs_safety/wild_regs/bear.html
(for the Inyo NF; scroll down for links to maps showing canister-requiring
areas), http://www.nps.gov/seki/bear_bc.htm (for Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP),
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm (for Yosemite NP).  All
these regulations typically are codified deep within the bowels of the
Federal Code of Regulations and have the force of law.  The various chiefs
(Park Supervisors, District Rangers, etc) have the authority to create
regulations for health and safety in their jurisdictions.  I have the basic
citation for the Inyo food storage regulation somewhere around if you want
it....  That regulation grants a lot of discretion to the ranger who catches
you - up to a $5,000.00 fine.

now THAT's expensive.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94