[pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story & nothangingfood)

i really don't want to stir up a hornets nest, but every time I raise
this issue people send links to web pages of *rules*, but I have never
seen a *LAW* stating that cannisters are required.  The only laws that
i have seen say that you must use "proper food storage" and that there
is a fine *if* the bear gets your food.  I guess the theory is that if
the bears don;t get your food, then you stored it properly. :-)