[pct-l] MT Hood and North - LOCAL????

I am planning on section hiking from Stevens Pass to Timberlake Lodge in the the Northwest August 24th through first week of September.  I am working on the details _ and thanks to some angles for transporting from the airports.  I am planning a few extra days just in case of emergencies and have an escape contigency plan (Cascade Locks).  If everything goes perfectly (which it often does not) I might be up at Timberlake Lodge and will have a day or two to just play before my flight.  I was told by an old NW Mountaineering friend that crampons would be needed to go up Mt Hood.  He is getting senile so curious if there is a real trail that is fairly easily accessable from Timberlake Lodge.

Also would appreciate any advice on how to make this adventure more enjoyable from the locals --- ie any side routes that are a must.
  This will be my first section hike leaning towards LITE --- so am planning on taking the bare necesities --- I will be bringing along a Eureka Solitaire for a shelter and a 15 degree bag - curious how cold it might get at night?  And to elevaiate some weight will be shipping a package to Whites Pass.
>From research both mosquitos and water is an abundance.
  I will be using the 2000 OR/WA guide is most of the information correct?

Thanks so much.

Duane Shutterbug