[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

I have not thru-hiked, but I have done 24 days and 408 miles on the PCT
using a 1900 c.i. pack.  I won't say it was "easy", but its do-able.  I
had to strap a few things on the outside of the pack to be able to
carry it all, but essentially "it all fit".

The only thing I would have to wonder about is the desert section of
the trail (i've never done that section), because I understand that you
will have to carry large loads of water.  During my 408 miles, I did
cover the largest roadless area on the trail (between Tuolumne Meadows
and Sonora Pass) as well as the 85+ miles between VVR and The Onion
valley Trailhead.  I don't think that there are any sections of the
trail where you are forced to carry more food than these sections and I
managed to squeeze everything into that 1900 c.i. pack.

For the sake of comfort and the "just in case" factor, I would recomend
something slightly larger.  perhaps 2500 would be a good size.

also, when you go buy your pack, take all YOUR gear with you into the
store.  That's what I did.  I wanted the to buy the smallest pack I
could still fit all my gear into, so I just took everything to the
store that I was gonna take on the hike, and tried to stuff it into a
pack.  This also has the added benefit of verifying if the pack is
comfortable with your gear in it.  Sometimes you get home and realize
that the pack fit great in the store with all that soft stuffing and
malleable sandbags, but your gear has sharp points and edges and
corners that job and poke everywhere.

peace,
dude