[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

> Her stance is that this long trek is in effect an expedition, and as such we
> should carry packs (albeit, all with ultralight gear and using as light of a
> pack as we can find) with a cu. in. range of 4800-5500 (especially to handle
> all the food and water during times that we won't be able to re-supply).

The *vast* majority of the PCT has resupply points which are less than
a week apart.  So there isn't the typical multi-week "expedition" food
requirements.  Plus compared to a lot of "expeditions", the weather is
much more mild (you can use 20-30F bag or quilt and a tarp or 3-season
tent rather than a bomb proof 4 season tent and expedition sleeping
bag).  And you don't have to bring serious climbing gear.

The longest section on the PCT that is common for people go without
resupply is 174 miles (8-9 days for most thru-hikers at this stage of
the walk)  between Kennedy Meadow and VVR.  It is possible to resupply
with support (or hitchhiking) sooner if you come off the trail a bit.
This section has plenty of water, so you only have to carry a litter
or two.  All the food required by me for this section fit into a
Bearicake Weekender.  Of course I haven't burned off all my fat (being
a section hiker rather than thru-hiker who has been going for a
month+), so you will most likely want more food than I had... but not
2X.  Everything I was carrying fit inside my Osprey Aether 60 (~3900
cu/in). I still had room to spare, and was being "lightweight", not
"ultralight".  For example I use an full length inflatable pad, a two
man tarptent all to myself, etc.

The other section that requires an extra load is through the southern
dessert sections because of the extra water weight.  But if you are
starting the PCT at typical times (rather than going really early or
south bound) you shouldn't have to carry more than a day's worth of
water if you are hiking at a good pace thanks to the combo oif water
caches and some water still flowing.

IMHO, if you are carrying 5000 cu/in... you are carrying too much for
the PCT and should shed some stuff.

Oh, one other thing that might be quite useful to you is Yogi's PCT
handbook http://www.pcthandbook.com/ which has a nice list of resupply
locations and valuable  information collection for past thru-hikers.
But order today.  Yogi's taking off for the CDT in the next week or
so.

--Mark