[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

> > The longest section on the PCT that is common for people go without
> > resupply is 174 miles (8-9 days for most thru-hikers at this stage of
> > the walk)  between Kennedy Meadow and VVR.
>
> ...and its actually quite easy to resupply much sooner than the end of
> the 174 miles.  There are several points where you can hitch to town
> and resupply: Lone Pine, Independence, Bishop.  And you can mail food
> and supplies ahead to The Muir Trail Ranch (although many people skip
> this one because of the $45 per package cost).

Dude is completely right.   I guess "common" was a bit too strong.  I
was just trying to set the upper-bound of what food had to be carried.
 When I stop and think a bit, more than half the thru-hikers I know
did a resupply before VVR, typically at Keararge Pass (some to Bishop,
some to Independence).  Hmm... I guess that means that means that the
*common* longest without resupply is more like ~100 miles, with the
exception / upper bound being 174 miles.

I am thinking like the section hiker that I am.  I think it is
*common* for section hikers and folks doing JMT to go from Kennedy /
Whitney Portal to VVR without resupply since we have fix time and want
to stay on the trail for as long as possible.

I think the strikes against Muir Ranch are not only the package cost,
but friendliness... especially when considering how nice the folks at
VVR are just a day later.

--Mark