[pct-l] Right pack for a thru-hike.

I'll also say that someone gave me this advice when I was first
starting out and I liked it as a general rule of thumb:  Your pack,
your tent, and your sleeping bag should each weigh around 2 lbs or less.

Is this to say that a 2lb 4oz pack is out of the question?  No way.
But it probably does suggest that a 6lb pack can easily be replaced
with something much lighter.

This "2 lb rule" is also a little old now.  Today, you can find a 3500
c.i. pack that weighs 14oz and a 30 degree down sleeping bag that
weighs close to 1 lb.  When I first heard this 2 lb rule, everything
weighed much more.

Just to show you how insanely light everything has become these days,
here is a pack/bag/tent combo that weighs 2 lbs 8oz for ALL THREE:
1.  GoLite LAIR 1 NEST, 21 oz.
http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=SH6009

2.  GVP G5 Gossamer Pack, 3800 c.i., 8 oz.
http://www.gvpgear.com/g5.asp

3.  Nunatak Arc Edge Sleeping bag, 30 degree, 11oz
http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_arc_edge.htm

HTH.

peace,
dude