[pct-l] Right pack for a thru-hike.

> Without making any judgement, there was a hiker at the ADZPCTKO who
> left Mexico carrying 75 pounds. Arriving at Lake Morena, he got a ride
> to town to replace "everything." Carrying extra weight it fine on
> shorter trips with low mileage days, but carrying unnecessary weight
> can take the fun out of multiple 20-plus mile days.

I second that sentiment.  In 1998, I hiked from Tahoe to Whitney and
went with two inexperienced firends who I tried to teach about the
importance of packing light before the trip.  When we arrived at the
trailhead, each of their packs weighed over 50lbs, so I did a
small "shake-down" before the hike.  I found all sorts of stuff that I
said they didnt need.  Everytime I suggested that they didnt need it,
they responded with "well, its worth the extra weight to me".  Carrying
things on your back for 20 miles per day has a way of changing how you
value certain things.  When we reached the first drop point, they each
mailed back about 20 lbs of stuff.  At the second drop location, they
each mailed back another 10-15lbs of additional stuff.

Having said all of that, there can be a lot of flexibility in the pack
that you select.  If you love your Osprey and it works for you, then
there is no reason why you shouldn't take it.  The lighter that you get
the rest of your gear, the more your pack weight by itself will
matter.  For example, if you go all out and get extreme in the
ultralight philosophy so that all the rest of your gear weighs a mere
12 lbs, then a 6lbs pack suddenly raises your entire pack weight by
over 50%!!  At that point, IMO, its worth investigating other pack
options.  OTOH, if all the rest of your gear weighs in at 35 lbs, then
an additional 6lbs is like 15%, which isn't nearly as much in
percentage terms.

Ultralight is a very popular method on the PCT these days, and I would
recomend looking into it, if you have not done so already.  For
instance, you mentioned carrying a headlamp.  Many thru-hikers trade
the relative comfort and ease-of-use of the headlamp for a tiny little
LED photon light that is about the size of two nickels and weighs 0.1
oz.  Most head-lamps weigh in at about 8oz, so just by switching that
one item, one can save 1/2 lb.  There are dozens of more examples like
this for each item in your pack.  With a litle money and some effort,
its very easy to get your base pack weight below 20lbs.

OTOH, ultralight is not for everyone.  Some people like having a
headlamp in camp, and sleeping on a nice fluffy thermarest, and
bringing their camp-chair, etc.  If this is you, then like AsABat said
HYOH. In order to determine exacly what "your hike" is, you may have to
figure that out during the first 200 miles of the trail.  ...and if you
do, you can always "change everything", just like the guy AsABat
mentioned.

In any event, I suggest reading a TON between now and next spring.
Read as many trail hournals and gear lists as you can. Find out what
worked for others.  There is no sense in reinventing the wheel if you
don't have to.

HTH

peace,
dude