[pct-l] Sierra City Store

Popcorn (PCT'03) told me at the Kick Off that the Sierra City grocery store
had closed.

I just talked to the Sierra City Postmaster, and she told me an interesting
story.  The store had a new owner in 2003.  I remember him, he was really
cool, really into helping out the hikers.  Well, one day this winter, he
pulled a moving truck up to the store (he lived upstairs above the store),
packed up all his stuff, told his employee who was working in the store that
he'd be back in a bit.  They never saw him again.

So, now the son of the OLD owner is back in the store, getting everything
ready to open up.  The Postmaster said they plan to have the store open by
May 1 or May 10 (I don't remember what date she said).  She seemed sure that
the store and laundromat would be open by the time hikers make it to Sierra
City.  The store phone number (530-862-1181) will be working again soon.

The store had denatured alcohol in 2003, but not in 2001 and 2002.  Since
the people who had the store in 2001 and 2002 have it again this year, I
wouldn't count on finding denatured alcohol there.  Afterall, they never had
it before.

yogi

Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx