[pct-l] Mt. Whitney

Usually Whitney permits approaching from anyplace but the Whitney
portal are no problem at all and can usually be obtained the day that
you start your hike at the ranger office in Lone Pine or other point of
origin's Ranger station.  I'd call around to these stations to be sure.

there are several places that he could start the hike from a dozen or
so locations that are within 50 miles of the whitney summit.

peace,
dude