[pct-l] Mt. Whitney

I am starting the trail on May 18th, and my cousin wants to join me for the JMT.  As I am sure the Whitney permits are already all taken, would it work for him to get the thru-hiking permit?  Once he left the trailhead it would be hard to tell the difference between him and a thru-hiker coming back from a resupply.  Or maybe this is totally unethical.  Anyway, I just wonder about the practical aspects of it (whether there is a ranger who will see him leaving his car).  Thanks.

Brian