[pct-l] Esbit vs HEET fuel savings

I bought the Esbit stove for use on my AT thruhike and loved it.  I've since
used a soda can alcohol stove as well.  Now I use either, depending on the
situation.  But, I don't carry the Esbit stove anymore.

If I'm using exclusively Esbit tabs, I just cut the bottom inch or so off a
soda can and use some harware wire to support the pot (total about 1 oz).
If I might be switching back and forth between Esbit and alcohol, I just
take an soda can alcohol stove and turn it upside down to hold the Esbit
tab.  Works like a dream.  Gives new meaning to the term multi-fuel, too.
:-)

While I onlly need one Esbit tab a day to boil 2 cups water, I need about 1
oz alcohol to do the same.  But, Esbit tabs, at retail, do cost a lot more
than alcohol or HEET.  Cost vs weight comes into play here.

Esbit tabs aren't reliably available in trail town but they can be mailed in
resupply and bounce boxes.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE