[pct-l] Hiking gear on planes

I think lost or misplace luggage while flying is becoming rare. This may
be due to increased security resulting in better tracking of luggage
with passengers. Since 2001 I've made dozens of plane trips both
national and international without a luggage mishap. Here are a couple
of things I do to minimize risk: 1) In addition to tagging luggage well
with my name, address, etc., I also include destination information,
including a telephone # where I can be reached, if this is possible.
This makes it simple for the airline to contact me if my bag ends up in
their lost luggage bin. 2) When checking my bag, I make sure that the
attendant puts the correct destination tag on my bag. I actually caught
them in one case where they accidentally switched tags with another
passenger. 3) If I have a backpack, I always put it inside a duffle
before checking. This protects the bag and minimizes the risk of things
spilling out.
Of course, now that I've bragged about my great record, I won't be
surprised when I'm standing in the San Diego airport in two weeks sans
backpack!
Ron