[pct-l] Camping in Campo?

Correct me, out there, if I'm wrong, but isn't there overnight camping allowed anywhere along the PCT?

Which brings up another question: when hiking through national forest or state park wilderness, are permits necessary if you're staying on the PCT? In other words, if I plan on backpacking in the San Jacintos, I need to secure a permit and only camp in designated campsites (brown or yellow posts). But if I was a PCT hiker, could I stay on the PCT and camp where I found myself in the evening without a permit?

To answer your question directly, you could make it from Campo to a decent campsite within a couple hours of hiking. I'd put as much distance between me and the border fence (a huge discussion earlier). Let's see... if I remember correctly, there's a fine place to camp just past the railroad tracks. A grassy meadow. And there was a small creek that was flowing in May just a 1/4 mile up trail from there. Also, there are a couple small shelves overlooking one of the cattle ranches (Florisol?) about 5-8 miles from the terminus. I'd stay outside the cattle gates, though. A lot of livestock roam freely between mile 10 and Hauser.
I don't know if the Border Patrol would allow you to camp in their front yard, but you could ask. But I'd head for the meadow.
If your interested, I could track down the exact long/lat coords where it is.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m