[pct-l] Camping in Campo?

> Correct me, out there, if I'm wrong, but isn't there overnight camping
allowed anywhere along the PCT?

> Which brings up another question: when hiking through national forest or
state park wilderness, are permits
> necessary if you're staying on the PCT? In other words, if I plan on
backpacking in the San Jacintos, I need to
> secure a permit and only camp in designated campsites (brown or yellow
posts). But if I was a PCT hiker,
> could I stay on the PCT and camp where I found myself in the evening
without a permit?

No. The PCTA website says:

"The Thru-Permit applies only to camps along the PCT. Users wishing to camp
elsewhere in non-National Forest land or restricted National Forest land
must obtain separate permits as necessary. The PCTA will not issue these
separate permits, with the exception of the Mt. Whitney zone permits (see
below for Mt. Whitney information). "

In the past, the San Jacinto Wilderness State Park has said that you need a
State Park wilderness permit for the specific day you will camp at a
specific campsite in the park. Maybe they've lightened up on this.
Fortunately, the official PCT spends little time in the park - from
Strawberry Junction (Deer Springs Trail) to half way down Fuller Ridge.

Likewise, camping in other parks along the way requires separate fees -
Burney Falls it an example, as is our own Lake Morena.

And, as Judson mentioned, if the trail cuts through private property,
respect the property owner's wishes so they will hopefully respect the trail
(and keep it open).

AsABat