[pct-l] (no subject)

Hi Gray,
I have certainly encountered rattlers during the daytime however I have done alot of night hiking and never stepped on a rattler, never even had one buzz.... but I am aware of the possibility and here is my technique - if it has anything to do with not encountering them.
I take a chemlight, attach it with a rubberband to the bottom third of a walking stick and "thump" along as I walk. The chemlight puts light on the ground where I can see snakes, rocks, etc and the stick provides the vibration that snakes need to hear you coming so they can leave.
There are certainly rattlers on the trail but they don't often get much bigger than 4 ft long and the striking range of a 4ft rattler is about 15 inches. A 4ft animal will barely cover a dinner plate in size.
Regarding "demon rum", it doesn't work on magnetometers, dopplar radars, spectragraphs and camcorders.... the phenomena are something new to science though they have been reported for centuries- which isn't, or shouldn't be particularly threatening. You know, the Royal Society argued for years about the existence of gorillas. They said they were fever dreams, native superstitions, etc... it wasn't untill one was brought to London that the critics finally shut up...These phenomena are real, whatever they are, and we are doing our best to document them.
Tedster