[pct-l] Water Report

Betsy,

I have long maintained  water reports for Sections D & E.  They're posted in Wrightwood, on the internet, on hand here, and well, everywhere.  If you would be so kind, I've included the OLD report from Wrightwood to Agua Dulce (note the date is last May, so Darrell's MMV).  Word is that this hiker-based report is more reliable than what can be found in the guidebook, because folks like Darrell update it!

Thanks.  We'll be looking forward to Darrell & Sitka's arrival in Agua Dulce.  Services that he can find in our little stretch of the PCT are at the bottom of the water report.

Also, the PCT crosses Hwy 58 at Cameron Road, kind of smack in between Tehachapi and Mojave (leaning closer to Tehachapi).  It's a 50/50 split for which way hikers will go, depending on where they sent their resupply boxes.

Donna Saufley
Water Report Wrightwood to Agua Dulce 5/09/03
Call 661-268-1235 with updates

Caches Can Be Empty And Springs Go Dry Fast In This Area.  Be Prepared!!!  As a general rule, the campground water sources are closed, so look to the natural sources.

·         First camp outside of Wrightwood, Guffy Camp, no water.
·         Water is off at the Grassy Hollow Visitors Center.
·         Lamel Springs has water.
·         Little Rock Creek is flowing and has water.
·         No water at first encounter at Lily Springs. You also cross Lily Springs at a grotto after the Islip Saddle on Highway 2, where it is running well.
·         Little Jimmy campground closed, but water is turned on (piped or spring???)
·         Little Jimmy general area badly burned last year; there will be downed trees, landslides, and general rough conditions.  The Trail is open, but be advised of extremely rough conditions.  Little Jimmy Creek does have water. Alternate Trail around Burn Area:  Take the High Desert National Recreation Trail then to South Fork Trail, which leads you back to the PCT one mile west of Little Jimmy.  There is water at Paradise Springs off of the High Desert Trail.
·         Glenwood Boy Scout Camp has water, but can't guaranty whether it will be available (depends on if scouts are there).
·         Cooper Campground no water.
·         Three Points:  No water at the campground.
·         Sulphur Springs:  running.
·         Rock Creek:  no water.
·         Pacifico:  one small stream (don't know how long it will hold out.
·         Sheep Creek Springs status unknown.
·         Mill Creek station:  Ranger station has spigot outside of station, and will let hikers take water.  Piped water turned off in picnic area, historically turned on May 15.
·         Big Buck Camp:  the "new" campground doesn't have any water, but the "old" campground (the marked on the guide map) does have a creek running.  It's the campground after you pass the road down a ravine to the west.
·         Messenger Flat: water is shut off.
·         North Fork station:  Water by station house (also has directions to Saufley's.)
·         Soledad Canyon:  water at RV park(s).  We recommend the Fiesta Cypress RV park, north of where the trail crosses the road.
·         Escondido Canyon:  running water.
·         Piped water by large Pepper Tree where trail comes near to the Vasquez Rocks  parking area.  Also a trail register, water, and a soda vending machine at Ranger station.
·         House on corner of Escondido Canyon and Agua Dulce Canyon has faucet outside of gate.
·         Hiker Heaven awaits, where you can get reports from Agua Dulce to Kennedy Meadows.

As there continues to be no Post Office in Agua Dulce (as per prior guide books), hiker packages and mail can be received and sent by regular mail, UPS, or express services to our care.  Send packages to:

            PCT Hiker (your name)
            c/o The Saufley's
            11861 Darling Road
            Agua Dulce, CA 91390

Our hiker heaven is open 24/7, no reservations or pre-arrangements necessary. We both hold and mail packages (with no restrictions).  All are welcome, especially any stinky dirty hiker trash that wanders north or south.  Trail animals (dogs, goats, horses, llamas, ???) are welcome.  There is no charge for any service to PCT hikers. We're 9/10ths mile off trail -- at least where the trail is now -- it's an easy walk and friendly rides abound.  Our numbers are:  661.268.1235 (home/business) 661.810.5777 (Donna's mobile) 661.810.5778 (Jeff's mobile).  Our website, www.hikerheaven.com , is perpetually under construction, but I hope to get more info out there soon.

Agua Dulce now boasts a wonderful new full-service market, "Sweetwater Farms.?  Also a Pizza joint, Mexican food, and continental cuisine restaurants, a winery, and really hiker-friendly people. Transportation to resupply sources is available (grocery shopping, gear stores, restaurants, movies, medical, etc.)

Good luck in all your preparations!

-=Jeff & Donna Saufley=-