[pct-l] Thoughts on Journal Writing

Over the last few days I've been reading journals. It's rather insightful
the perspective others have on shared events.

For instance. You might read a journal entry that goes something like this:

   "It was an evening full with life as the wind played in the trees. The
   early stars radiating more brightly with each passing second, while the
   harmonic buzz of mosquitos wafted the Sandmans wares over my sleep
   deprived body...."

Now, that's just fine with me. But I was camped near that guy on that day and
from the foggy reaches of my memory it went more like this:

   "He was frantically pilfering through his backpack looking for his headnet
   while waving his arms madly, stating, 'These f**king mosquitos are driving
   me nuts!'"

Whatever.

Hey, a little creative embellishment is great. But can you imagine John Muir
doing a technical manual?

To be fair, my journal entries have all the charm of reading ingredients off
the back of a shampoo bottle. I know this, these are my issues.

The point is, as you write your journals folks, please inform the reader as
to the level of 'creativity' you'll be introducing into your 'factual account'
of your hiking experience.

TIC,
Scott Parks
Art          : http://DelNorteResort.Com/art