[pct-l] pulling a cart/Pink Motel

>The question becomes how is this interpreted by the forest service?  Does
this prohibit a cart?

It's funny you should mention that, since the rules only seem to apply to
non-forest service personel...

I passed a Forest service worker last year on the JMT who was pushing one
of those mileage counting "wheels" along the trail. It's basically a wheel
with a handle on it that measures the distance it is pushed. She was
surveying a section of trail with it, and I must say that the thought
never even crossed my mind that it was a mechanized piece of equipment and
didn't belong out there, and it certainly didn't take anything away from
my wilderness experience! In fact, I'm glad she was out there using this
wheel, because it meant that the section of trail she was on was going to
get some much needed attention in the near future!

But, if the rules are interpreted such that no wheeled or mechanized
devices may be used, then I guess that applies to this mileage wheel as
well!

Brian Bowlsby